Forbes magazine recently rated the top 10 superstars of social media. They looked at the celebrities with the most Twitter followers and Facebook fans and added the numbers together to come up with the ranking of social media superstars. I decided to give them a more detailed look and review the main features of top 3 social media superstars.
Top 10 Social Media Superstars
Let’s look at the celebrities with the most Twitter and Facebook followers.
1) Rihanna – Twitter: 23.8 million; Facebook: 59.6 million
2) Lady Gaga – Twitter: 28 million; Facebook: 53 million
3) Eminem – Twitter: 11.9 million; Facebook: 60.3 million
4) Justin Bieber – Twitter: 26 million; Facebook: 45.8 million
5) Katy Perry – Twitter: 24.5 million; Facebook: 45.7 million
6) Shakira – Twitter: 17.6 million; Facebook 52.5 million
7) Christiano Ronaldo – Twitter: 12 million; Facebook: 47.5 million
8) Taylor Swift – Twitter: 17 million; Facebook: 33.6 million
9) Lil Wayne – Twitter: 7.9 million; Facebook: 40 million
10) Selena Gomez – Twitter: 12.3 million; Facebook: 33 million
Here are the most general findings discovered when analysing top 10 social media superstars:
- Only two – Shakira (35) and Eminem (39) – were over thirty.
- With the exception of Eminem, every social media superstar has a fragrance, cosmetic or fashion contract.
- Almost all of the stars on the list are young pop singers with the exception of Soccer player Cristiano Ronaldo, in seventh place, and actress Selena Gomez (tenth place) (Wizards of Waverly Place).
Let’s look closer at the Top 3 Facebook Pages!
With 83.4 social media fans on Facebook and Twitter Rihanna has close to 4 times that of Australia’s population.
Rihanna is very generous in posting photos of her friends and family.
Posts like this seems to be the most engaging with over 85k likes, 750 shares and 3.5k comments.
Rihanna actively encourages her fans to vote for her at the MTV VMA’s.
Rihanna’s FB page has 9 Apps: Photos, Rihanna exclusives for fans, Newsletter, Videos, Buy latest releases (the app didn’t worked when I clicked BUY), events, photos, likes, Coconut Water promo.
Rihanna posts every day, sometimes more than once a day.
Rihanna doesn’t allow writing on her wall.
Gaga created a little community calling her followers Little Monsters.
Lady Gaga has 7 apps: photos, events, videos, store, likes, Born This Way Foundation joining form and even Political Voting App!
Personal photos like this are the most engaging with over 164k likes, 9k comments and 2.5k shares:
Gaga got in trouble earlier this year when she tweeted: “Just killed back to back spin classes. Eating a salad dreaming of a cheeseburger #PopStarsDontEat #IWasBornThisWay.” It caused a stir because Gaga has been trying to get young girls to avoid the eating disorders she suffered as a teen.
Gaga posts a lot about upcoming albums, tour dates and what she’s eating. Her Social media channels give an insight into her everyday life.
She posts every day, sometimes more than once a day.
Lady Gaga allows others to post on her wall.
Eminem is the most reserved. He doesn’t share much of his life and his posts are dominated by links to his latest video and launches. His feed tends to be heavily promotional.
I found his wall boring and his posts repetitive. Nearly every recent post is about his new album Slaughterhouse.
This post is one of the latest that attracted the most likes, comments and shares:
Eminem has only 5 apps: Photos, Likes, Store, Music channel and Welcome to Hell (whatever it is).
He posts on average 1-2 times a week .
Eminem doesn’t allow posting on his wall.
There are no rules…. You can posts as often as 3 times a day or just once a week. You can have basic Facebook apps on your Facebook page or offer a full range of interactive apps. You can be very personal or just promote your latest work. There are no secrets of social media popularity.
Who was on your ‘following’ list so far?